Sunday 21 February 2010

Signage brief





































































A three week project to design some 'signage' for the northern wall of the university of Brighton. It should be White on white, (due to planning permission) and respond in some way to the weather.

To be in keeping with the Modernist building, I decided to create a functional piece. A canopy where people could gather to shelter and to make use of this poorly functioning entrance.

Then to further develop from this idea I wanted the viewer to discover the 'signage' by looking up into the canopy and changing their perspective. I was interested in the connotations of looking up as an empowering posture, during my research I collected a whole archive of powerful, religious portraits of people looking up, groups of spectators and individuals looking up to the stars and into the elements rain or shine. Inside my canopy a spectrum of colour would be viewed (unseen from the outside so not to contravene with planning.) representative of the creativity inside of the university and a treat to look up into.

No comments:

Post a Comment