Sunday 7 June 2009

This is perhaps one of my favourite projects of the year. The brief was to design a book cover, of specified dimensions based on the titles that had previously won Penguin's distinctively odd book prize. I chose: 'Highlights In The History Of Concrete', as I have an interest in Industry and materials. I visited a Concrete Plant to take photographs and from there I developed my design. I vacuum formed a thin disk shape that I wanted to pour concrete into and inlay into the book. However due to the nature of concrete getting the mixture right was a challenge and involved many visits to local builders of Brighton. Who gave me advice and different mixtures to try out. Cracking was unavoidable with such a material and so I photogaphed the disk rather than inlaying it into the book. This better embrased the characteristics of concrete and looked a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment